Gluten-free Apple pie is a must. Impossible to resist the scent of apples, their taste that blends sweet and ‘sharp’ flavours in a single bite, further enhanced by the many spices that can be used to create flavour variations.
And it is precisely apples the main ingredient in the dessert we are recommending today: a gluten-free Apple Pie that can be enjoyed at any time of the day, for breakfast, as a snack, to accompany tea, but also to finish dinner on a sweet note.
With this recipe, you can create a cake with a soft and enveloping heart, enclosed in a thin shell of fragrant puff pastry, a mouth-watering idea to pamper your palate. If you like apple cakes, also try my Soft apple and cinnamon cake.
Gluten-free Apple pie
19.30g carbohydrates per 100g
Ingredients for the brisè pastry
- 300g gluten-free flour mix for bread, brand BiAglut**
- 150g cold butter
- 80g water
- 1 pinch of salt
- sweetener* or sugar
Ingredients for the filling
- 1350g Granny Smith apples (weight of whole, unpeeled apples)
- 2-3 tablespoons of water
- 25g lemon juice
- 25g almond flour*
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- sweetener* or sugar
Ingredients for finishing
- 1 whole eggs
- 20g brown sugar
**Ingredients specific for celiacs
*Ingredients whose labels must read “gluten-free” (or, in Italy, present on Prontuario AIC)
- Start preparing the shortcrust pastry by mixing flour, butter cut into chunks, sugar/sweetener and a pinch of salt. The mixture will be grainy, so mix it until it becomes firm, wrap it in cling film and refrigerate whilst preparing the filling.
- And now the filling! Peel and cut the apples, put them in a non-stick pan with a few tablespoons of water and let them cook until soft. Then remove everything from the heat and let it cool down.
At this point you can add the sugar/sweetener, lemon juice and cinnamon, stirring to combine all the flavours.
- Well, we have both the dough and its filling….let’s assemble.
- Roll out more than half of the brisè pastry on a sheet of baking paper and line a 24cm diameter mould. Sprinkle the base with almond flour, cover the bottom with the freshly prepared apple filling and close with another disc of brisè. It will be like a treasure chest of taste and scents.
- Make ray-like cuts on the surface and brush it with beaten egg and a sprinkling of sugar to taste. Finally, bake the cake in a convection oven preheated to 180°C for about 45 minutes.
- If it does not brown properly, set the oven to 200°C and continue baking for another 10-15 minutes. This fantastic Apple Pie can be served either warm or cold.
Version with gluten of Apple pie
Replace the gluten free BiAglut flour with an equal amount of wheat flour and possibly reduce the amount of water to be added to the crust.