This is the second recipe dedicated to the 70th anniversary of the National Carmagnola Pepper Fair and is one of our favourites when we are very hungry, have little time and want something tasty and light: Chicken with peppers and goji berries, naturally gluten free and with very few carbohydrates. If you want to look at the first recipe again, here it is: Gazpacho of yellow tomatoes, peppers and crispy prosciutto.
Pepper is a typical summer vegetable, particularly popular in hot countries, although it is now cultivated all over the world. Its versatility in cooking is extraordinary, and from a nutritional point of view it is rich in vitamin C, even richer than oranges, which are often considered the champions in ‘this speciality’.
Well, by combining peppers with goji berries, which by the way belong to the same family, we can enjoy their countless health benefits. Goji berries are to be consumed with caution for those with diabetes because they have a high carbohydrate content, as much as 64g per 100g of product, and also calories, but at the same time are rich in protein, sodium, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, manganese, lipids such as omega 3 and omega 6, magnesium, chromium, vitamins C, E and B1, carotene, amino acids, fibre, lutein and germanium.
Eating a dish like this one that is a joy for the eyes, for the palate and for our well-being seems to me the best way to celebrate a very respectable birthday!
Chicken with peppers and goji berries
3.49g carbohydrates per 100g
Ingredients for 4-6 servings
- 700g chicken breast
- 380g yellow, red and green peppers
- 80g leek
- 30g goji berries
- 1 sachet of saffron
- extra virgin olive oil
- Soak the goji berries in lukewarm water for 30 minutes.
- Cut the chicken into strips, mix with the saffron and leave to season for about 30 minutes.
- Cut the leeks into thin rounds and the peppers into strips for sautéing. Heat a wok, pour in a few tablespoons of oil and sauté the leek alone first, then add the peppers; season with salt and cook over a high flame for 5 minutes, stirring often. Set them aside.
- Put another 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in the wok and stir-fry the chicken for 5-6 minutes, then add the goji berries, season with salt and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Remove the chicken from the heat, mix it with the peppers and serve hot or lukewarm accompanied by a mixed salad.
Version with gluten of Chicken with peppers and goji berries
The recipe contains only naturally gluten-free ingredients, so no adaptation is necessary for its version with gluten.
This recipe was submitted to the Contest ‘Carmagnola Pepper: 70 years in 70 recipes’