How can we combine the pleasure of a burger with a tasty and vegetarian alternative? Try these Gluten-free vegetarian burgers with soybeans and bell peppers.
It is important to remember that burger buns are normally made with butter and milk, so don’t forget to pair this type of bread with a good source of fibre, like these soybean burgers that contain plenty of colourful and tasty vegetables, and a mayonnaise prepared without eggs and dairy products that you can flavour to taste. I was given the recipe of this mayonnaise by my friend blogger Cristiana Curri and I must say that it can be adapted to any preparation, both sweet and savoury!
A nice characteristic of these burgers is that they can be cooked both in a frying pan and in the oven depending on the time available and the desired to turn on the oven. Furthermore, you can always make extra to store in the freezer, ready for unexpected snacks with our children’s friends and schoolmates.
Gluten-free vegetarian burgers with soybeans and bell peppers
17.38g carbohydrates per 100g (about 7.7g carbohydrates per burger)
Ingredients for 12 burgers with soybeans and bell peppers
- 200g cooked soybeans (I soaked them the night before starting from about 70g dried soybeans, which I cooked for 1 hour)
- 200g red bell pepper
- 85g leek
- 1 egg
- 30g breadcrumbs**
- chopped parsley, chilli pepper, paprika, marjoram, salt and pepper
- 12 small burger buns (you can prepare them using the recipe of Brioche braid increasing slightly the salt, or my recipe of Panini per hamburger with Massimo zero flour)
Ingredients for the egg-free mayonnaise and to complete
- 100g high oleic sunflower oil
- 50g soy milk*
- 1 pinch of salt
- leaves of lettuce
**Ingredients specific for celiacs
*Ingredients whose labels must read “gluten-free” (or, in Italy, present on Prontuario AIC)
Preparation of burgers
- Chop the leek and put it in a non-stick frying pan with a dribble of oil; add the red pepper cut in pieces and cook the vegetables until soft. When almost ready, add the cooked soybeans and flavour with spices and salt to taste. Put everything in a food processor and blend to a mixture (leave some pieces inside). Allow to cool down, then add egg and breadcrumbs and mix well.
- You can cook the burgers in two ways: in a frying pan or in the oven. To cook them in a frying pan, grease it a bit with olive oil and use a metal ring of the desired shape to form the burgers putting a tablespoon of mixture inside the rings. After a minute, remove the rings and complete cooking the burgers on both side. To cook the burgers in the oven, shape them using a metal ring directly on the baking tin lined with slightly greased parchment paper, then bake the burgers in a convection oven pre-heated at 180°C for about 15 minutes.
Preparation of vegetable mayonnaise
- Pour the soy milk in a tall glass and blend with a hand blender pouring the oil in a trickle. Complete adding salt and paprika to taste.
- Assemble the burgers cutting the buns in half, putting the soybean burgers, the mayonnaise and lettuce.
Version with gluten of Burger with soybeans and bell peppers
Replace the gluten-free buns with standard buns, whereas no adaptation is necessary for burgers and mayonnaise.