Do you know how the recipe for gluten-free Carnival Fried Tortelli came about? By pure chance, while experimenting with doughs for the Cicerchiata cooked live with the Rieti and Viterbo Chamber of Commerce! Among various combinations of flour, egg and sugar, having obtained a beautiful smooth and firm dough, I thought I would try making Tortelli with plum jam.
The result? Delicious fried Carnival Tortelli! And it’s a good thing I had written down all the weights of the ingredients, otherwise I would have missed out on the doses for an ideal dough for a traditional recipe that has always been prepared in my family (usually in a version with gluten) for Mardi Gras.
Gluten-free Carnival Fried Tortelli
54g carbohydrates per 100g
Ingredients for 10 Tortelli
- 150g plum jam*, very firm
- 100g gluten-free flour mix for bread, brand BiAglut**
- 100g gluten-free bread flour, brand Mix B Schär**
- 2 eggs
- 20-30g milk (add it gradually)
- 25g sugar
- 15g butter
- lemon rind
- sunflower seed oil for deep frying
- Pour the eggs into a bowl, beat them with a fork together with the sugar, add the soft butter and lemon zest. Gradually incorporate the flour, stirring with a fork until the mixture is firm enough to knead with your hands. Add enough milk to obtain a firm mixture, then transfer to a cutting board and knead with your hands until you obtain a smooth, homogeneous and non-sticky dough.
- Cover it with cling film and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of about 5mm, place a teaspoon of very firm plum jam on top of the pastry, cover with another layer and cut out the Tortelli with the mould provided. Continue until everything is used up.
- Heat the seed oil to a temperature of 170-180°C and deep-fry a few Tortelli at a time, using a skimmer to flip them so that they brown evenly. Drain them well on paper towels.
Version with gluten of Carnival Fried Tortelli
Replace the BiAglut and Schär flours with equal amounts of 00 wheat flour and adjust the amount of milk added.