What to do with a free-range chicken if you have a Tajine pot in your kitchen equipment? A naturally gluten free dish to bring diabetes and celiac disease together: Turmeric and lemon chicken tajine.
Looking out of the kitchen window, a picture that changes daily according to the colours the sky takes on has been accompanying me for weeks. This is the maple tree that has lived with us since we moved in our current place, and every year in autumn it gives us palettes of colour that turn on and off depending on how the sun’s rays or the rain hit its leaves.
It was the colours of these leaves that made me think of the orange of turmeric and the yellow of lemon. Add to that the fact that my parents gave me some free-range chickens directly from the farm where they live, well, I couldn’t help but prepare a dish that is as simple as I like, but absolutely unforgettable.
And you know what? Although the colours are those of autumn, this chicken is a delight at any time of the year and with whatever side dish you are comfortable preparing.
Turmeric and lemon chicken tajine
carbohydrates per 100g negliglible
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 3-4 chicken legs (depending on size)
- approx. 200g stock
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley or coriander
- 1 lemon
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in the Tajine or in a saucepan. Gently fry the thinly sliced onion and the clove of garlic for 3-4 minutes without browning them. Add the chicken pieces and brown them evenly, turning the pieces often and adjusting the heat.
- Add turmeric, 1 tablespoon chopped parsley or coriander, stock, lemon peel (only the yellow part) in large pieces, salt and pepper, then simmer with the lid on for about 2 hours (cooking times depend on the chicken!).
- If necessary, remove the lid, turn up the heat and allow the cooking juices to thicken slightly.
- Serve accompanying the meat with a side dish of seasonal vegetables to taste or even these Cauliflower patties.
Version with gluten of Turmeric and lemon chicken Tajine
The recipe contains only naturally gluten-free ingredients.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!