When asparagus is in season, we can indulge in cooking it in a variety of ways, and here is an idea for a vegetarian one-course meal: Dairy-free asparagus loaf.
For someone like me who comes from a family of producers of Parmigiano Reggianogiving up cheese is not easy, but I am often on the lookout for ideas for recipes that do not include it as an ingredient precisely to avoid the risk of consuming too much of it, as I love cheese!
Having potatoes as the main ingredient, this recipe with asparagus is a dish that provides a good dose of carbohydrates combined with plenty of fibre due to the presence of so many vegetables, so simply accompanying it with a side dish of fresh vegetables makes for a complete meal.
And remember that asparagus can be cooked in the microwave for few minutes to retain all its flavour! Read how in the recipe procedure.
Dairy-free asparagus loaf
13.28g carbohydrates per 100g
Ingredients for 6 servings
- 470g peeled potatoes
- 350g asparagus
- 210g onions
- 100g leek
- 2 egg whites
- 15g breadcrumbs**
- extra virgin olive oil
- Crusco pepper to taste
- oregano, mint
- salt and pepper
**Ingredients specific for celiacs
*Ingredients whose labels must read “gluten-free” (or, in Italy, present on Prontuario AIC)
Preparation of Dairy free asparagus loaf
- Cut the potatoes into small pieces and boil them in lightly salted water until soft.
- Mash the potatoes while they are still hot in a bowl and set them aside.
- Slice onions and leeks and fry them in a non-stick pan with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, season with salt and pepper and cook.
- Cook the asparagus. You can choose to cook the asparagus in the microwave oven by making a layer of spears in a container and cooking it for 4 minutes at 600W. Alternatively, cook the asparagus in a non-stick pan with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a few tablespoons of water until soft.
- Put the mashed potatoes in a bowl, add the onions and leeks, chopped asparagus and egg whites; mix everything together, season with oregano, mint, pepper and salt.
- Lightly grease an oven dish, pour in the potato and vegetable mixture, flatten the surface and sprinkle it with breadcrumbs. Top with a drizzle of oil and cook au gratin in a convection oven preheated to 200°C until a golden crust forms on the surface.
Version with gluten of Dairy free asparagus loaf
Replace gluten free breadcrumbs with standard breadcrumbs; no other adaptation is needed.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!