I don’t know about you, but with the kids home from school, the need to cook lunch and dinner every day makes it difficult for me to find solutions to satisfy their appetite, desire for variety and time available, so try these Potato and courgette patties with Parma Ham.
Boiling potatoes will be the longest step, but the rest will only take you a few minutes. Obviously you can replace Parma ham with another ham you like, but it is important to remember that by combining a source of fat and protein with potatoes, you will slow down the absorption of carbohydrates, so it will be helpful to avoid glycaemic peaks.
You can accompany these Potato and courgette patties with a side dish of vegetables for a complete and balance meal. And if you love pies, but don’t want to turn on the oven, try this Pan-fried potato pie.
Potato and courgette patties with Parma ham
14.41g carbohydrates per 100g of patties without Parma ham
- 700g potatoes
- 350g courgettes
- 80g spring onion or leek
- 60g breadcrumbs**
- 40g butter
- Parma ham
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
**Ingredients specific for celiacs
- Boil the potatoes in a pot of water, then peel and mash them with a potato masher, add butter while they are still hot so that it melts well, then set them aside.
- In the meantime, put a few tablespoons of oil in a non-stick frying pan, brown the finely chopped spring onion or leek, then add the courgettes grated with a coarse-hole grater, season with salt and pepper, then cook for about 10 minutes, making sure that the courgettes are nice and dry.
- Add the cooked courgettes to the mashed potatoes, mix well and season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- With the help of a 6cm diameter cutter, form 2cm thick patties; roll them in breadcrumbs very carefully because they are quite soft, then brown them in a non-stick frying pan with a few tablespoons of oil until very crispy on both sides.
- Top each patty with a slice of freshly sliced Parma ham and serve.
Version with gluten of Potato and courgette patties with Parma ham
Replace gluten free breadcrumbs with standard breadcrumbs