Gluten-free dark bread is always a feast at our place, but every time I like to enrich it with different touches of flavour. One of my favourite additions is nuts, which also allow us to take care of diabetes. That’s why we love Walnut dark bread.
In fact, when we combine a source of complex carbohydrates, as is the case with flour, the fibre from wholegrains and the good fats contained in nuts (walnuts in today’s recipe), the body’s absorption of sugars slows down significantly, helping to avoid blood sugar peaks, which are to be avoided not only in people with diabetes, but in general in all people to prevent the onset of diseases as the years go by.
Therefore, let us get into the habit of eating wholemeal foods as often as we can and when we bake bread, let us always try to vary it by adding sources of fibre and small amounts of good fats as this will not only make it tastier to the palate, but also more friendly to our well-being.
Are you ready to knead? Also try the Mixed leavening bread: it is going to be another great experience.
Walnut dark bread
41.72g carbohydrates per 100g
- 450g flour mix for dark bread, brand Massimo Zero**
- 380g water
- 50g shelled walnuts
- 30g extra virgin olive oil
- 10g brewer’s yeast
- extra virgin olive oil for the surface, rice flour* to form the bread
**Ingredients specific for celiacs
*Ingredients whose labels must read “gluten-free” (or, in Italy, present on Prontuario AIC)
- This recipe is very similar to the one written on the mix packet, but includes the addition of walnuts and a few differences in the process.
- Place the water and the crumbled yeast in a bowl, or in a food processor, and stir for a few seconds to dissolve the yeast. Add flour, oil and walnuts and knead until the mixture is smooth and firm.
- Dust a chopping board with rice flour and place the dough on it; again with the help of some flour, shape the mixture into a large cylinder and place it to rise in an elongated bread basket, or in a container that can hold the dough while it rises and give it the desired shape. Let it rest for about 1.5 hours, or until doubled in volume.
- Cover a baking tin with parchment paper, place the loaf of bread on it and brush the surface with olive oil. Bake in a convection oven preheated to 200°C for about 40 minutes.
Walnut dark bread
Version with gluten of Walnut dark bread
Replace the 450g of Massimo Zero dark bread flour with 450g of standard wholemeal flour, reducing the amount of water until the right dough texture is achieved.