Baccalà mantecato, i.e. creamy salt cod, is a dish with an enveloping taste that is present in many Italian gastronomic traditions. From Vicenza to Trieste, every cuisine has its secrets for making this speciality a tasty main course.
Perfect with a slice of toast, it is also an extraordinary condiment for pasta or rice: try my Salt Cod Risotto.
Here is today’s recipe!
negligible carbohydrates per 100g
- 400g salt cod already soaked with salt removed
- 80g extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sprig of parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- water, milk, salt
- Cook the cod in a pot covered with water and milk, with the addition of a clove of garlic for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the skin, garlic and any bones, then place the cod in a blender with the washed parsley leaves. Start blending by adding the oil in a trickle, exactly as you do with mayonnaise.
- Add salt if necessary and adjust the creaminess by adding a dash of milk.
- You can serve it on its own, with croutons or roasted polenta.
Version with gluten of Baccalà mantecato
The recipe contains only naturally gluten-free ingredients, so no adaptation is necessary for its version with gluten.